Monday, May 3, 2010

University Disctrict Farmer's Market: Rock Island Red




This past Saturday morning I found myself at the University District Farmer’s Market. Being still in pursuit for the personal perspective in growing one’s own food, I couldn’t miss out on the opportunity to ask vendors questions.

The following series of blogs will be a culmination of my experience.

Rock Island Red

I began with the vendor at ‘Rock Island Red.’ I was lured to the stand by the dried peach and apricot samples. The smiling elderly man invited me to take a sample, and so as I chewed on a tiny piece of dried apricot I began to ask questions.

Rock Island Red has been going strong for about 32 years. The elderly man behind the stand was the culprit of the group having started with an organic garden. Inspiration for this initial project was drawn from Rachel Carson’s ‘Silent Spring.’ The man said he’d been particularly drawn to the U-District Farmer’s Market because of the location and because it drew ‘…one of the biggest markets in the state.’ The man also mentioned the fact that because of its popularity with vendors, the U-District Farmer’s Market frequently places requesting vendors on a waiting list. Rock Island Red has been at the U-District Farmer’s Market for seven years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers